We’ve long been told breakfast is the most important meal of the day. While researchers have differing opinions on whether one single meal is more essential than the others, many nutrition experts can agree that a healthy diet includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods within all the food groups: vegetables, fruits, grains, protein foods, dairy products, and oils.[i] For those with dysphagia, it’s even more important to ensure meals are balanced, as difficulty swallowing can lead to less consumption overall, and thus to malnutrition and dehydration.[ii]
Fortunately, Thick-It® Purées make it possible for those with dysphagia to enjoy a variety of nutritious foods at home without the hassle or worry of cooking and preparing foods to the correct consistency. Precisely crafted to meet the guidelines for a texture modified diet, Thick-It® Purées are made from authentic food ingredients that offer satisfying flavor, texture, and nutrition in an assortment of delicious entrée, side dish, and dessert options. Try them through our new Purée Protein Variety Pack or Purée Vegetable Variety Pack.
Designed with patients and caregivers in mind, Thick-It® Purées are easy to prepare and serve—simply open the can, heat, and enjoy. For caregivers who want to explore flavors, try one of 11 IDDSI-compliant recipes available in our Variety Comes to the Table recipe book created by the makers of Thick-It® products and a team of registered dietitians. For example, start the day off right with this hearty, filling breakfast favorite:
Puréed Breakfast Casserole
- 1 slice (1 oz) white bread, sliced with crust removed
- 1/4 cup Thick-It® Clear Advantage® Thickened Water Mildly Thick (Nectar)
- 1/3 cup Thick-It® Omelet with Sausage and Cheddar Cheese Purée
- Prepare PU4 Bread: Place bread slices on a sheet pan in an even layer. Pour Thick-It® Clear Advantage® Thickened Water Mildly Thick (Nectar) over bread. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate. Allow bread to thoroughly soak for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Cut prepared PU4 Bread into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place Thick-It® Omelet with Sausage and Cheddar Cheese Purée. Add prepared PU4 bread cubes and gently mix to combine.
- Cover and microwave on high for 30–60 seconds until hot and steaming (165°F). Stir. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.*
*ALTERNATIVE METHOD: Heat Thick-It® Omelet with Sausage and Cheddar Cheese Purée in a sauce pan until hot and steaming (165°F), stirring occasionally. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.
- Test Puréed Breakfast Casserole per IDDSI Testing Methods (Puréed Diet, PU4) using the Fork Drip Test and Spoon Tilt Test before serving. Refer to IDDSI.org for details.
- Portion with 1/2 cup. If desired, garnish Puréed Breakfast Casserole with prepared PU4 Bread cubes.
- Discard any unused portions of prepared recipe.
For this and 10 other recipes, including nutrition facts and presentation instructions, download Variety Comes to the Table.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have about the use of Thick-It® products. The information contained herein is general and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment in any manner.