June is National Dysphagia Awareness Month, which calls attention to the prevalence and impact of swallowing disorders. It also marks the 35th anniversary of the product that started it all: Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener. In recognition of these important milestones, the Thick-It® team partnered with the baking masters at Sara Lee to create A Piece of Cake, a free dessert recipe guide for people with dysphagia.
“We are thrilled to partner with Sara Lee on this exciting new line of recipes, especially during National Dysphagia Awareness Month,” said Pete Delvecchio, Thick-It® brand manager. “We want to make summer celebrations possible for everyone, including family and friends who find the season a bit more challenging due to swallowing difficulties. This new dessert guide fills that need, and we are proud of this innovative partnership opportunity.”
Made with no artificial flavors, the four simple and satisfying recipes in the guide combine the Sara Lee brand’s popular cheesecakes and pound cakes with Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener and a few other common ingredients. International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI)* compliant, each recipe is available in Level 4, Puréed and Level 5, Minced & Moist, so those with dysphagia can enjoy sweet treats like the Classic Pound Cake all summer long:
Classic Pound Cake, Level 4, Puréed
Yields: 1 Serving | Serving Size: 1/10 of 16 oz. cake
- 1/10 of the 16 oz. Sara Lee Family Size Classic Pound Cake, defrosted
- 3 ½ Tbsp 2% Milk
- 1 Tbsp Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener
- Wash hands before beginning preparation. Sanitize surfaces and equipment.
- Cut one slice of Sara Lee Family Size Classic Pound Cake (SKU# 03404). Slice should be 1/10 of cake.
- Cut slice into smaller cubes to allow for easier processing.
- Place cubes in small food processor. Process (or pulse) into fine crumbs for approximately 10 seconds.
- Add milk and Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener to the food processor, and process for another 10 seconds until smooth throughout.
- Spread evenly into small bowl. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate. Allow pound cake to thoroughly chill for 3 hours or overnight. Hold at 40°F or lower until service.
- Remove from refrigerator. Test consistency before serving per IDDSI Testing Methods for IDDSI Puréed Level 4 (PU4) using the Fork Drip Test and Spoon Tilt Test. Refer to IDDSI.org for details.
For the other recipes as well as tips for making every dining opportunity enjoyable for people with swallowing difficulties, download A Piece of Cake for free on the Thick-It® brand website.
To accompany the dessert guide, the Thick-It® team created a Sweet Summer Playlist on Spotify to enhance summer celebrations for those with swallowing difficulties as well as their friends, families, and caregivers. Featuring an eclectic mix of hits from the past several decades, the playlist is perfect for backyard barbecues, picnics in the park, and more. Listen on Spotify today.
Learn more about the ways the Thick-It® brand is recognizing National Dysphagia Awareness Month—and the summer season—on this website.
Consult with a physician or other qualified healthcare professional about matters regarding your health and diet, particularly regarding the suitability of this recipe for your use. This recipe may not be appropriate for all people with dysphagia. The Sara Lee Frozen Bakery packaged products included in this recipe are not IDDSI approved or certified. Sara Lee Frozen Bakery and the Thick-It® brand are only responsible for their packaged products. It is the responsibility of the person preparing this recipe to perform IDDSI testing as well as follow food safety standards and FDA regulations when preparing this recipe, including those regarding cross-contamination, cold handling, and storage, mixing with other ingredients, and shelf life.
Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have about a medical condition, treatment, or the use of Thick-It® products. The information contained herein is for informational purposes and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment in any manner.
*Thick-It® brand is a gold sponsor of IDDSI. This article is NOT an official IDDSI resource, educational material, or education program, and it is NOT meant to replace materials and resources on www.IDDSI.org.