The leaves are starting to fall, and the air feels chilly – perfect weather for apples, cinnamon, and coffee. Fortunately, Thick-It® Purées make it possible for those with dysphagia to enjoy a variety of comfort foods at home without the hassle or worry of cooking and preparing foods to the correct consistency. You can now enjoy this classic autumn combination in a Puréed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with your morning coffee or tea.
Precisely crafted to meet the guidelines for a texture modified diet, Thick-It® Purées taste real because they are real. Our purées are made from authentic food ingredients and offer satisfying flavor, texture, and nutrition in a variety of delicious entrée, side dish, and dessert options—from Omelet with Sausage and Cheddar Cheese Purée to Seasoned Broccoli Purée to Caramel Flavored Apple Pie Purée, and so much more.
Designed with patients and caregivers in mind, Thick-It® Purées are easy to prepare and serve – simply open the can, heat, and enjoy. For caregivers who want to explore flavors and expand their kitchen repertoire, take it up a notch with one of 11 IDDSI-compliant recipes available in our Variety Comes to the Table recipe book, created by the makers of the Thick-It® brand and a team of registered dietitians. For example, our fall favorite, Puréed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, makes for a delicious breakfast treat or after dinner dessert.
Puréed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup Thick-It® Maple Cinnamon French Toast Purée
- 2 Tbsp Thick-It® Caramel Flavored Apple Pie Purée
- 1 Tbsp cream, half & half
- ¼ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp sugar, granulated
- 1 Tbsp whipped topping, prepared
- ½ tsp Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine Thick-It® Maple Cinnamon French Toast Purée with Thick-It® Caramel Flavored Apple Pie Purée, cream, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well.
- Cover and microwave on high for 30–60 seconds until hot and steaming (165°F). Stir. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.*
*ALTERNATIVE METHOD: In a sauce pan, combine Thick-It® Maple Cinnamon French Toast Purée with Thick-It® Caramel Flavored Apple Pie Purée, cream, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well. Heat until hot and steaming (165°F), stirring occasionally. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.
- In a mixing bowl, combine whipped topping with Thick-It® Original Food & Beverage Thickener. Mix until thickened. Chill and hold at 40°F or lower until served.
- Test Puréed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake and Thickened Whipped Topping per IDDSI Testing Methods (Puréed Diet, PU4) using the Fork Drip Test and Spoon Tilt Test before serving. Refer to IDDSI.org for details.
- Place 1/3 cup of Puréed Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake on dessert dish. Top with 1 Tbsp of Thickened Whipped Topping. Serve immediately.
- Discard any unused portions of prepared recipe.
For this and 10 other recipes, including nutrition facts and presentation instructions, download Variety Comes to the Table.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have about the use of Thick-It® products. The information contained herein is general and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment in any manner.