A meal shared with family and friends is one of life’s simple pleasures—one that is often denied to people who have difficulty swallowing. Fortunately, Thick-It® Purées make it possible for those with dysphagia to enjoy healthy meals at home without the hassle or worry of cooking and preparing foods to the correct consistency.
Precisely crafted to meet the guidelines for a texture modified diet, Thick-It® Purées taste real because they are real. Our purées are made from authentic food ingredients and offer satisfying flavor, texture, and nutrition in a variety of delicious options, including:
- Maple Cinnamon French Toast Purée
- Omelet with Sausage and Cheddar Cheese Purée
- Beef Lasagna Purée
- Beef Stew Purée
- Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée (Smoke Flavor Added)
- Chicken á la King Purée
- Salisbury Steak Purée
- Seasoned Chicken Patty Purée
- Carrot and Pea Purée
- Seasoned Broccoli Purée
- Seasoned Green Bean Purée
- Seasoned Spinach Purée
- Sweet Corn Purée
Designed with patients and caregivers in mind, Thick-It® Purées are easy to prepare and serve—simply open the can, heat, and enjoy. For caregivers who want to explore flavors and expand their kitchen repertoire, take it up a notch with one of 11 IDDSI-compliant recipes available in our Variety Comes to the Table recipe book, created by the Thick-It® brand and a team of registered dietitians. For example, the sweet and tangy Puréed Barbecue Beef Sandwich makes for a delicious summertime lunch or dinner:
Puréed Barbecue Beef Sandwich
- 2 slices (1 oz) White bread, sliced with crust removed
- 1/2 cup Thick-It® Clear Advantage® Thickened Water Mildly Thick (Nectar)
- 1/3 cup Thick-It® Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée—Smoke Flavor Added
- Prepare PU4 Bread: Place bread slices on a sheet pan in an even layer. Pour Thick-It® Clear Advantage® Thickened Water Mildly Thick (Nectar) over bread. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate. Allow bread to thoroughly soak for 2–4 hours or overnight.
- Place Thick-It® Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée–Smoke Flavor Added in a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 30–60 seconds until hot and steaming (165°F). Stir. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.*
*ALTERNATIVE METHOD: Place Thick-It® Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée–Smoke Flavor Added in a sauce pan. Heat until hot and steaming (165°F), stirring occasionally. Hold at 140°F or higher until served.
- Test Thick-It® Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée–Smoke Flavor Added and prepared PU4 Bread per IDDSI Testing Methods (Puréed Diet, PU4) using the Fork Drip Test and Spoon Tilt Test. Refer to IDDSI.org for details.
- To serve, place 1 slice of prepared PU4 Bread on bottom of serving dish. Top with 1/3 cup of Thick-It® Beef in Barbecue Sauce Purée–Smoke Flavor Added and remaining slice of prepared PU4 Bread. May form as an open-faced sandwich, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Discard any unused portions of prepared recipe.
For this and 10 other recipes, including nutrition facts and presentation instructions, download Variety Comes to the Table.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have about the use of Thick-It® products. The information contained herein is general and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment in any manner.